Member Association: Magyar Család- és Nővédelmi Tudományos Társaság Tel. +36 (1) 3456722 / firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://www.szexinfo.hu
Law n. 87, June 2000, ‘Law on the Protection of the Life of the Fetus'
Up to 12 weeks
- ‘Grave crisis situation'
- Severe risk to life of woman
- Rape or other sexual crime
- Parental consent required for minors (under 18)
- Compulsory counselling to be attended twice
- Compulsory waiting period: 3 days after 1st counselling, not longer than eight days before abortion takes place (the second counselling takes place right before the procedure)
- ‘Grave crisis situation' is defined by the woman herself and is thus not discussed during application as it is considered a private matter
- Free of charge for women in custody, disabled and for abortion on medical grounds
- Up to HUF 18,000 (US$ 87.6) for the others, with fees in accordance with the type and amount of public assistance women receive
DISPARITY IN THE APPLICATION OF THE LAW
- In practice abortion is readily available
- Since the law was passed there has been a slight decrease in the number of abortions